Sunday, August 31, 2008

Technology for School

Did some reading last night and I am appalled at some schools thinking that by just putting in a smartboard, they are teaching using 21st century methods. A great article by Wesley Fryer when he is Twittering about his meet the teacher night.

We can not use technology and make it fit into our lesson, nor should we just make the lesson to fit technology. As Jeff Allen said technology is an amplifier. That statement really made me think because I have seen so many teachers (myself included) use technology to provide a wow factor. I thought that because I used a projector to put up my lesson of the day or use a smartboard to write my notes on the board (a pretty expensive whiteboard) I was doing it, I was using web 2.0 tools, I was teaching them how to use technology. I just didn't get it. Teaching for the 21st century is not the teacher standing in front of the class using the gadgets and wowing the students. I believe that it is about having the students take charge of their learning and having them become in many ways the teacher. Which is frightening for teachers.

No comments: